Sunday, November 11, 2012

Turkish Menemen


Can I just say that Turkey has one of the best cuisines in the world. Every dish has such fresh ingredients, beautiful colors, and amazing taste. I mean look at these pictures! 



It is no secret that my favorite place I have ever traveled to was IstanbulTurkey. I was lucky enough to study abroad there a few summers back. The smells and tastes of the cuisine always give me a little mental trip back to my time in that amazing city. Travel and food go hand in hand. A places food culture tells you so much about a location; its people, history, culture…and so on.

One of my favorite meals I had while there was a dish called menemen. I recently found a recipe for the dish, so I decided to try my hand at it. The recipe is very easy to make. I will say something was missing though. It was not spicy enough and there was a flavor that just wasn’t there. I think I will have to do some tweaking to the recipe to give it that right taste. Just what, I do not know.

On to how to make Menemen. This recipe is for 4 servings, I made it for 2. 

You will need:
2Tbsp olive oil
3 scallions chopped
2 red bell peppers seeded and chopped
2-4 tomatoes diced
1tsp crushed red pepper flakes
6 eggs, beaten
4 ounces crumbled feta (optional)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2Tbsp chopped fresh parsley




Place the oil in the skillet and heat over medium heat. Then add in the scallions and cook until soft, followed by adding in the peppers, cooking for about five minutes. Add in the tomatoes and red pepper flakes sautéing until some liquid from the tomato is gone. 

 Once some of the liquid is evaporated go ahead and add in the eggs and feta cheese if you are using it. Stir constantly until eggs are cooked and coating the veggies. Season with salt and pepper. Before serving stir in the parsley. It is typically eaten with pita, and I added a few olives too! 



With the weather getting colder I am hoping to make my favorite Turkish red lentil soup soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment